Meeting with an advisor before you start classes sets you up for success for the rest of your time at IUPUI. Before you meet with your advisor there are a few steps you’ll need to complete:
Make the most of your advising appointment
Orientation call center
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Phone: 317-274-4240
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If you haven’t completed steps 1–3 in the Get Started section, be sure to go back and complete them before starting these steps. If you’ve decided to change your major, let us know so you get matched with the correct advisor. Change your major in the reservation system on the second screen, and click "Save." It can take up to 48 hours to take effect, so you may need to wait to schedule your advising appointment.
Step four: Learn about your school
Our schools have each created a video to introduce themselves. Find your intended school below and watch their presentation. If you’re interested in multiple schools, you can watch as many presentations as you want to get a feel for what each school has to offer.
Not sure which video to watch? Find your school. If you're still exploring major options, watch the University College video.
Note: Honors College scholars, you have been added to a Canvas site with instructions for completing Honors College Orientation. You’ll want to review this site prior to your advising appointment and before your live Student Success Session. If you are an incoming Honors College student and believe you have not been added to the Canvas site, contact email@example.com.
Estimated time: 20 minutes
Step five: Learn how to schedule your classes
iGPS—the interactive graduation planning system—allows you to interact with your advisor and look at immediate and long-term academic plans to help you stay on track for graduation. You will be able plan for your first semester all the way through to your last semester.
Don’t worry, you won’t need to register for classes until your academic advising appointment, but it will be important to become familiar with this tool.
For additional information, review IU’s Knowledge Base.
Estimated time: 7 minutes
Step six: Schedule your advising appointment
Up to this point, you’ve learned a lot about IUPUI and the resources you need to succeed. This means you’re ready to schedule your advising appointment. Your advisor will help you identify and enroll in classes for your first semester at IUPUI.
What to expect from your advising appointment:
- You’ll receive an email and text message from your advisor prior to your appointment. You’ll be provided with specific instructions and a Zoom link to your appointment.
- During your appointment, you’ll first meet with your advisor via Zoom to talk through your academic plan, including your intended major, classes to take, etc.
- First-year seminars and learning communities make your first year at IUPUI extra special. Talk with your academic advisor about your first-year experience options.
- After your advising appointment, visit the orientation Zoom room staffed by OTEAM student leaders to register for your classes. The room is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Use this Zoom link. In case you’re not familiar, the OTEAM is a group of undergraduate students dedicated to engaging new students during orientation and into the first semester. They will walk you through the steps and answer your questions along the way.
- You will leave this session with your schedule for your first semester!
When looking for a date and time, please allow at least 48 hours between the time you take your placement tests to the time you have your advising appointment to ensure your scores are available.
- Estimated time to schedule your appointment: 10 minutes
- Estimate time for your advising appointment: 45–60 minutes
Once you log in, you will see a link with your assigned advising office or assigned advisor. Click the link under "Find Appointments" in the top right corner to see the available appointments.
You should only schedule appointments with your assigned office or advisor at this time. If more than one advisor is listed, you can select any or all of them to view the appointments available for your major. Please ignore the search options.